- Sale, Offers & New In
- Nuts & Seeds
- Dried Fruit
- Cacao & Chocolate
- Baking & Cooking
- Culinary Herbs & Spices
- Healthy Snacks & Treats
- Coffee, Tea & Drinks
- Condiments & Oils
- Dried Vegetables
- Sport & Fitness
- Personal Care & Alternative Therapies
- Japanese Foods
- Selection Packs
- Homecare & Cleaning
- Empty Bottles & Jars
- Baby & Child Products
- Pet Food
Holy Basil (Tulsi) Powder
Holy Basil, more commonly known as Tulsi, is rich in nutrients and has been renowned for its restorative powersfor generations. You may have heard it is the most sacred herb in all of India, where it is referred to as “The Queen of Herbs”.
A little history
For over five thousand years, Holy Basil (Tulsi) has been revered in India, as a healing balm for body, mind and spirit. It is also known as Tulasi, Ocimum tenuiflorum, Ocimum sanctum – just to give you a few more catchy alternatives.
Tulsi is quite similar to the traditional summer basil many of us know and love – but only in terms of the subtle balance of main flavours it possesses. Essentially it has that same savoury plant-like aroma, a peppery tinge and a distinct dimension or two very much of its own.
However, tulsi really is a flavour like no other. And like so many of our top quality superfoods and speciality foods, it deserves pride of place in the kitchen. We feel it’s another essential aid for making really distinctive meals and snacks from across the world – not to mention from off the top of your head, or the depths of your creative mind!
Tulsi usage tips
- Make delicious herbal tea with tulsi alone. A real boon if you’re really trying to cut down on sugary or caffeinated drinks and snacks. You can also mix it with other spices and herbs of your choosing, from cumin and cardamom to basil and mint.
- Whisk it into your morning juice or healthy tonics for an extra nourishing boost.
- Add extra flair and individuality (and of course healthiness) to your favourite smoothie creations.
- Seek out traditional Indian recipes and other tasty gems online. These will give you a great feel for where best to use tulsi and how much you should use. This will also give you a strong foundation for creating your own devilishly angelic Holy Basil recipes.
- Be creative. Our natural and organic tulsi is like so many other exotic foods; within its native country there are a lot of cultural guideline and ideas of how best to use it. But further afield, across the UK and Europe – the rules are all but unwritten! And with a global trend toward eating healthily gaining more force than ever before, ours is perhaps the most exciting generation for food invention ever.