A super-low-calorie yet nutritionally loaded superfood; chia seeds are many an athletes’ ammunition. Abundant in antioxidants, protein and dietary fibre and richer in omega-3 fatty acids than even salmon, our natural and organic chia seeds are a formidable food fit for almost any use! They also provide you with an array of precious vitamins and minerals to bolster your dietary intake for the better. Try them with your favourite meals or simply snack on them for tip-top daily nourishment. As our many fitness-fanatical customers across the UK and Europe will know, chia seeds are also best sprouted, ground up or made into a gel. This is very easy to do, and it's well worth it too, as doing so will significantly increase your nutrient uptake each time you consume them! So whether you want to make even healthier desserts, smoothies, bakes, breakfasts (like porridge and 'overnight oats') or any other unique home recipes our natural and organic chia seeds are a must-have ingredient!
What makes chia seeds so special?
Well to name just a few huge plus-points, chia seeds are:
- Ultra-lightweight super nutrition
- Crammed with vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants
- A protein-packed seed, low in carbohydrates
- High in healthy omega-3 fatty acids
- Full of fibre
- Loaded with calcium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus
- A great source of vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin)
- Rich in selenium, copper and zinc
- A hyper-low-calorie superfood!
- Easily sprouted, crushed or made into a gel
Mix them with anything
You can throw these naturally nutritional seeds in virtually any food. Use these bountiful beauties to enrich your meals rom smoothies to salads, porridge to pasta or homemade crackers and bakers’ delights.
Instructions for use
You have a few options for getting the best out of your chias. Crush them to release the most omega-3, sprout them to activate and make them grow or combine them with water or any liquid and your chias will produce a gel-like consistency: perfect for keeping you full for longer. This chia gel is also a great way of replacing half the volume of your favourite decadent desserts with true nutritional power!
Our top tips
Chia seeds are very flexible and can be eaten in a variety of ways. Here are a few handy hints for best usage:
- Sprout them. If you've got time, and love to watch things grow, you can sprout your chias seeds in water for a few days. These are great for adding to pasta, rice, salads and snacks... basically wherever you wish!
- Whole or crushed - add to any food (hot or cold) for texture, sprinkle on salads or cereal. They can also be used in baking or as a thickening agent. Crushed seeds will release the most Omega3.
- Create chia Gel. Chia seeds can be combined with water (or any liquid) to create a unique gel. This can be eaten/drunk as it is, but as the texture is somewhat slimy, most people prefer to blend them into porridge, sauces, smoothies and various other foods. Smoothies can be made with up to 50-70% chia gel which is excellent news if you're looking to stay trim, boost your work out or just stay fuller for longer. In fact, chia gel can be mixed with any creamy, saucy or otherwise liquid foods (like puddings, dressings, jelly etc) to great affect. This will increase the nutrition while lowering calorie density for an all-round healthier meal. Exceptional!
If you really want to make some chia bread then we have a smal bit of info for you. The safety of Chia seeds when used in bread at a maximum of 5% has been confirmed by the EFSA in its opinion adopted on March 13, 2009 (EFSA, 2009).
Chias for your help
Some call them "aptly unassuming" (or even bland), some say "a touch nutty" and others say chia seeds create a really varied texture and flavour according to their context. Whatever your views, let everyone know how you incorporate this unique food into your daily and weekly diet. We really like to see you sharing any recipes or tips for others to enjoy and benefit from. So why not post your creations and ideas on your favourite blog, forum, website or social media space and tag us up!